Wednesday, April 3, 2013

Low Self Esteem and the Artistic Ego

I wonder what exactly is the artistic ego I've heard so much about. Various therapists have explained to an incredulous me that there is this thing called a healthy ego which has a reasonably accurate picture of the self and one's relation to the world, is generally positive, doesn't depend on the approval of others won at the cost of integrity by adapting to every slight fluctuating sign of interest or disinterest. So, is the artistic ego an outsized ego that has incredibly thick skin, ignores the raised eyebrow, plows straight ahead on its idiosyncratic adventures without concern? There is evidence of that in the world. Or is the artistic ego the opposite: a deeply insecure constantly questioning fragile neurosis trying to establish itself through representation after representation, never satisfied, full of self-criticism, easily wounded and offended? There is evidence for that too. Now, I know there is a certain personality type that is the unfortunate combination of the worst qualities of these two caricatures. In other words, there are people in this world who seek to make themselves feel more important than they are by feeling crappy about themselves all the time. It's the old "Everybody in this room thinks I'm a terrible person" syndrome, or if you're a writer, "I'm a genius! I'm an idiot! Nobody appreciates me! That person who said my work is good was lying!" syndrome. Don't ask me how I know this.

I had this sudden vision of my own work today as a pile of sentimental, cliched crap. It was horrible and I can't quite shake it. I try hard not to judge my own work or myself. Try to leave the critical analysis to others. But sometimes, especially after a long period without getting anything published, I just can't help myself. I know intellectually that my job is just to write the poems that show up to be written. To stay true to my ear and my aesthetic. But, damn, sometimes the slog feels like a slog.


The Complete Unknown

I frequently have mixed feelings
And am divided against myself
Half in love with easeful death
While standing on the beach in Eleuthera
There is no lifeguard and no rope
To stop me from swimming out too far
The water is almost invisible
The slope as gradual as the everlasting
Like a lifetime of minor betrayals
There is no algorithm to describe
A world resplendent with uncertainty
No big data computation to say
How the water dissolves the razor sharp shadows
Or the fluttering wings of a southern ray

Keith Dunlap

Sunday Puzzle

Just the word, Sunday, in the title
Makes me think of her and how she loved
Wallace Stevens, at least his poetry
And of her sister, the forty-year-old Buddhist
Who read “Sunday Morning” at her memorial service
And how Philip and I wept into each other’s arms
Each of us conscious of how each of us fell short
Of her love. What it was for Philip I couldn’t say
But for me it was that day when sick from chemotherapy
She confessed that her dying wish was for us to go away
Together and have sex before she was too frail
And I promised her we would knowing full well
That it would never come to pass and then she asked
What I thought happened after death
And I got all tongue-tied and gave
Some lame pseudo-philosophical reply
When all she wanted me to do was deceive her
When I told the truth and be truthful when I lied

Keith Dunlap

No comments:

Post a Comment