Sunday, December 25, 2011

All the Old Dogs

I am sure that no one is ever going to read anything I write here, so I am going to drag out all the old dogs for pseudo-publication.  Here is a poem I have hidden away from the light.  I would be interested in what you non-existent readers might have to say.


The Call Center

Each, in her padded cubicle,
Festooned with brightly colored scarves,
And mall jewelry,
Wears a plastic headset,

The microphone curled around her chin
Like a question mark.
Good news:
Today we are having a sale.

If I were here and 22
I don’t know what I’d do.
I wouldn’t care so much
About the time being

But would look ahead.

They must be able to hear each other,
The din of anxious scripted cheerful conversation
Making it impossible to pause
To consider any alternative to this

Livelihood. Each one has a brood
Of photographs on hand
Of children or grandchildren
Freshly dressed for school,

Their toothy smiles pressed flat
Beneath the plastic glass,
Their fleeting childhoods
Momentarily impressed

Into just this much happiness--
As when a grown-up might say
Smile for the camera
So that you will always have

This memory to remember this day.



Keith Dunlap

No comments:

Post a Comment